Flea image: Robert Hooke, Micrographia, 1665. Linda Hall Library Collections.
The Linda Hall Library invites pre- and post-doctoral scholars of exceptional promise to apply for our 2017 – 18 Fellowship program in the history of science and related areas of science and technology studies. The Library offers scholars diverse funding opportunities, a setting for deep immersion in outstanding collections of primary and secondary sources, and a rich intellectual community. Fellowships are awarded on a competitive basis to support residential research stays from one week up to a full academic year for research that makes use of the Library’s outstanding collections.
All applications are due January 16, 2017.
Applications for the Fellowships Program open on October 3, 2016. Pre- and post-doctoral students may also apply to visit the Linda Hall Library through the Consortium for History of Science, Technology and Medicine’s fellowship program.
About the Collections
The Linda Hall Library of Science, Engineering and Technology is an independent research library with rich and deep holdings in 70 languages. The collection encompasses more than a half million monograph volumes, including printed books dating to the 15th century, and over 47,000 journal titles, including journals with long runs dating from the 17th century. An exchange program with hundreds of academic institutions around the world has enabled the Library to acquire a significant collection of foreign research publications. These include a large collection of Russian language books and periodicals, some dating from the 18th century. The Library also owns over 200,000 current and historical engineering standards as well as specifications and technical reports issued by industry and government.
Several important acquisitions contributed to building historical collections: in 1946, the Library purchased the American Academy of Arts and Sciences Library, which provided the foundation of a rare book and reference collection to support research in the history of science and technology; in 1985, part of the Franklin Institute Library was acquired; and in 1995, the Engineering Societies Library was transferred from New York to the Linda Hall Library, adding historical depth to the Library’s already rich science and engineering collections.