Library Services - Circulation
Who Can Borrow
- Individuals living within the Kansas City Metropolitan area as defined below:
- Missouri - Bates, Caldwell, Cass, Clay, Clinton, Jackson, Johnson, Lafayette, Platte, Ray
- Kansas - Douglas, Franklin, Johnson, Leavenworth, Linn, Miami, Wyandotte
- Established businesses within the KC Metro area (see above counties). Contact Reference Services at 816.363.4600 for more information about authorized borrowing
- High school students with credit card information provided
by a parent. (Parent must be present at registration.)
- Students, faculty, and staff of participating Courtesy Card institutions.
Contact Reference Services at 816.363.4600 for more information about the Courtesy Card Program.
If you wish to borrow from the Linda Hall Library but do not
meet the above criteria, please contact your local public, academic,
or corporate library and request to borrow through interlibrary loan from
Check Out Period and Limitations
- All borrowers must provide a picture ID or library card at the time of check-out.
- Adult and courtesy card borrowers may check out a maximum of 10 items.
- High school students, after registering with a parent in attendance, may check out a maximum of 5 items.
- Check-out period for books is 3 weeks with two 3-week renewals, unless another patron request is pending.
- Check-out period for specifications and government documents is 2 business days with two 2-day renewal.
- Check-out period for conference proceedings in the Monograph Collection is 1 week with two 1-week renewals for local borrowers in good standing.
- Patrons with overdue items cannot check-out additional items.
- If a borrower has books overdue 2 times for 6 weeks or longer he/she will be placed on Limited borrowing status.
and restricted to borrow 2 books at a time for 6 months.
- If a borrower has books overdue 4 times (including the 2 weeks leading to limited borrowing status) for 6 weeks or longer .
he/she will be placed on Blocked status and restricted from borrowing for 6 months.
- Material on loan may be renewed either by phone at 816.926.8701 or by email email@example.com.
Replacement and Damage Fees
Patrons who do not return materials in good condition and in a timely way will be charged fees, as follows:
- A $150 standard replacement cost, per item.
- If the actual replacement cost of the item is over $300, that cost will be charged to the patron, in lieu of the $150 standard fee.
- A $25 damage fee, assessed on an individual basis if the damaged item can be repaired; if the item must be replaced, the appropriate replacement fee will be charged.
Material which does not circulate
- Material published before 1900
- Microforms - microfiche, microfilm, microcard
- Rare books and/or items from the History
of Science Center collection
- Reference books
- Technical reports
- Other items listed in the Linda Hall Library circulation guidelines. (Please ask at the Reference Desk for a copy)
- The Linda Hall Library reserves the right to deny circulation of any item determined to be fragile or difficult to replace.
Terms and Conditions
- All patrons must provide a picture ID or LHL library card at the time of check-out.
- Individual borrowers must provide credit card information on their application.
- Library materials must be protected from damage from food and beverages.
- Patrons are responsible for all uses of their Library card.
- Patrons must promptly report if a card is lost or stolen.
- Patrons with overdue items will not be able to check out additional items.
- Abuse of circulation privileges may result in the loss of borrowing privileges.
© 2003-2014, Linda Hall Library, All Rights Reserved
5109 Cherry Street
Kansas City, MO 64110-2498
Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Phone: 816.363.4600 or 800.662.1545