- This event has passed.
Livestream Lunch and Learn: The Science of Happiness
May 20, 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Co-sponsored by the Linda Hall Library and Kansas City Public Library.
This event is a free, online livestream lunch and learn. See information below about how to access the program
Just as we are all dreaming about our next vacation, many people believe that happiness is a vacation destination…”One day I will be happy.” Based on the work by Dr. Laurie Santos at Yale University, as well as other leaders in the study of happiness, we will take a brief look at the contagion, rewards & myths of happiness. Join us to begin the journey to happiness.
Sondra Wallace is a servant, thoughtful and collaborative leader with over 20 years of experience in the Educational Community. She has an unwavering focus to meet social & emotional learning and wellness needs of our youth, educators and community, one human at a time. Building positive, healthy and trusting relationships with youth has always been at the heart of Sondra’s work. She is a certified Sources of Strength trainer and currently the Mental Health Coordinator for Jewish Family Services of Greater Kansas City.
Sondra and her husband, Spencer, have 2 kids: Alex, a freshman at K-State and Aleah, a sophomore at Olathe South HS and 2 dogs.
Accessing the Program:
This free, online livestream lunch and learn will take place on May 20 at Noon CDT via Zoom. To help us better serve our audiences, we have included some demographic questions in the registration form. Your response to these questions is voluntary but appreciated. Thank you!
Registration is currently open and will remain open until the event has ended. If you register in advance, you will receive an email with a link to join the session when it begins, or you may register and enter the program directly when you are ready to begin.
Once you register for this event, you will receive email communications from the Linda Hall Library and the Linda Hall Library Foundation. You may choose to opt out of these communications at any time. Your contact information will not be sold or provided to any third parties.
The lecture will also livestream on the Library’s Facebook page.
Spring Science Matters Brown Bag Series
- March 18: Mass Transit – A Comparative Analysis of the Environmental Impact of Transportation
- April 15: Monarch Butterfly Conservation
- May 20: The Science of Happiness
- June 17: The Cognitive Science of Decision Making
This program is funded by the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation.
Its content is solely the responsibility of the Linda Hall Library.
Further reading at the Linda Hall Library
- Aamodt, Sandra.; Wang, Sam Welcome to your brain : why you lose your car keys but never forget how to drive and other puzzles of everyday life. New York : Bloomsbury : Distributed to the trade by Macmillan, 2008.
- Damasio, Antonio R. Looking for Spinoza : joy, sorrow, and the feeling brain. Orlando, Fla. : Harcourt, 2003.
- Kaku, Michio The future of the mind : the scientific quest to understand, enhance, and empower the mind. New York : Doubleday, a division of Random House, LLC, 2014.